Translate

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Still No Good Argument Against Equality

Anti-equality columnist Michael Brown, who constantly bemoans things like anyone who isn't a cisgender heterosexual nonconsanguineous monogamist having their rights, is on a roll lately. Today's column was sparked by a male triad getting legal recognition in Columbia, with Brown lamenting that we're heading toward full marriage equality. What he doesn't do is explain why he thinks that's a bad thing. Maybe we have to buy one of his books to read that? In fairness, nobody else seems to be able to explain why people should be denied their rights, either.
Here in the States, the Associated Press notes that, “More courts [are] allowing 3 parents of 1 child.” An example would be when a lesbian couple has a child with the help of another man, all three of whom become parents.
What's the realistic alternative? It's preventing the man from being legally involved. How exactly would that be good? If three people want to take responsibility for a child and they mutually agree to this, isn't that a good thing?
Today, in New York City, you can be fined up to $250,000 for failing to accept the stated identity of a trans employee.
Again, what's the realistic alternative? It's that someone either has to quit their job or deal with a boss who mistreats them in a very serious way.
I asked [the students] if they believed in the concepts of “love is love” and “I have the right to marry the one I love.” They all said yes, no matter how far it went. Three people? Four? Two adult brothers? And should the government be obligated to recognize all these relationships?

They answered in the affirmative to all my questions...
Good for them! The students have compassion and respect for people! Those of us on the right side of history are happy to see more people being free to have the relationships to which they mutually agree and to live out their gender identity.

If you're not doing so already, please check out this blog's sister Tumblr, where questions are being asked and getting answered, and I share content from others that I don't crosspost here. Add it to your bookmarks or, if you're on Tumblr, follow it.
— — —

1 comment:

  1. Today, in New York City, you can be fined up to $250,000 for failing to accept the stated identity of a trans employee.
    Again, what's the realistic alternative?

    The realistic alternative is not denying freedom of association - valued so highly around here - to the employer. Someone else's refusal to call you something you're not doesn't constitute a violation of your rights. No one can deny that you experience homosexual attraction. No one can deny that you experience a consanguinamorous attraction. But except for extreme cases (e.g. hermaphrodites) men are men and women are women, and it's tyrannical to try to force someone else to call you what you're not.

    I am truly sympathetic toward people who call themselves transgendered. I acknowledge that I cannot empathize with them. But my lack of ability to empathize does not require me to exempt myself from being a rational person: I simply cannot account for assigning gender to any feeling or ephemeral "sense of self."

    ReplyDelete

To prevent spam, comments will have to be approved, so your comment may not appear for several hours. Feedback is welcome, including disagreement. I only delete/reject/mark as spam: spam, vulgar or hateful attacks, repeated spouting of bigotry from the same person that does not add to the discussion, and the like. I will not reject comments based on disagreement, but if you don't think consenting adults should be free to love each other, then I do not consent to have you repeatedly spout hate on my blog without adding anything to the discourse.

If you want to write to me privately, then either contact me on Facebook, email me at fullmarriageequality at protonmail dot com, or tell me in your comment that you do NOT want it published. Otherwise, anything you write here is fair game to be used in a subsequent entry. If you want to be anonymous, that is fine.

IT IS OK TO TALK ABOUT SEX IN YOUR COMMENTS, BUT PLEASE CHOOSE YOUR WORDS CAREFULLY AS I WANT THIS BLOG TO BE AS "SAFE FOR WORK" AS POSSIBLE. If your comment includes graphic descriptions of activity involving minors, it's not going to get published.